The ACT Data Analytics Centre aims to build data literacy across the ACT Government. With better data management and analytics capabilities, the government can ultimately deliver better policies and services for citizens. Of the initiatives that are focused on, the one that will be presented on in this case study is; the enterprise grade data analytics platform;
- We recognised that the traditional “waterfall” approach to systems engineering simply didn’t delivery what we needed.
- Completely reorganised the way we worked and adopted a DevOps approach which allowed us to build it in 16 weeks
- The need to break away from the silo mindsets to lead to the desired outcome
- How to deal with the growing demand and volume of data which is why the platform is built to be scalable
- Assessing how to help getting buy-in for the vision and build trust, bouts of negotiation and relationship management where required
- We have now decoupled access to data from access to systems and thereby paved the way for seamless data sharing across directorates
Dr Ole Nielsen, Director, Scientific Computing, GeoScience Australia